For the client going through an addiction treatment at Dianova means coming to a structured and scheduled environment. The method of Dianova is to strengthen the client to develop in a life without addiction through environmental therapeutic work. The pedagogy of daily life runs like a theme throughout the therapeutic process, parts of the treatment is directed towards CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) and MI (motivational interviewing).
It is a question of learning how to function in a new social environment and to be able to handle everyday life without substance abuse. The staff consists of social workers, drug therapists, psychiatrists, psychologists, doctors and monitors. On top of this there are also staff members with their own experience from abuse. The clients have individual treatment 2-4 times a month with a psychologist depending on the center, and take part in group treatment best of their ability since the language is English and the language spoken in each country. This also offers a great opportunity to learn a new language over time!
»Dianova’s conviction is that with the right help everyone is capable to, within themselves, find the tools needed for personal development and social integration.«
1. Preparatory phase in Sweden – Admission: Information and motivation phase. The client, relatives and/or social services receive information about the implications of arriving at a Dianova center. The situation of the client is evaluated and the social services as well as health care services complete the biopsychosocial evaluation.
- Estimated time: 15 days to 1 month *
2. Addiction Treatment Center abroad in Portugal or Spain: This phase consists of two important parts: to learn how to live without drugs and to develop new patterns of thoughts and behavior. The environment of the addiction treatment center contributes and reinforces the drug free situation and offers the client a possibility to become aware of the negative effects of being a drug addict. In every day life the client gets help in order to develop a new behaviour both through the group and on one’s own. In the environment of the treatment facility an intense work is taking place with the necessary factors of change. The client gets an opportunity to change his or her identity as a drug addict for a productive and appreciated member of the therapeutic community.
- Estimated time: 6 to 9 months *
- Place: Spain and Portugal
3. After care and social integration in Sweden: In straight collaboration with the Swedish social services we plan the individualized after care project. The aim is that the client shall establish an independent and drug free life with the help of the knowledge and skills acquired during the treatment.
* The estimated time frames in the different phases are only approximate. They depend on an INDIVIDUALLY ACCUSTOMED TREATMENT PLAN and the achievement of individual goals, in co-operation between the social services, the client and the treatment team.
Addiction Scientific Study | On Dianova in Sweden's initiative, the Department of Pyschology of Lund University launched an outcome study in a cohort of 72 individuals having requested Dianova's services. The study begun in 2005 and was made possible by the fieldwork of Ms. Johanna Crabo and Maja Gradowska, as part of their final psychology dissertation, under the supervision of Dr. Mats Fridell, professor of clinical psychology and Psychotherapist, with financial support from Swedish government agency "Mobilisering mot Narkotika" and Dianova in Sweden.
Read the complete study (pdf document) here: http://www.dianovasverige.org/images/pdf/dianova-sweden%20follow-up.pdf